Printer-icon_1_copy.pngEarly People of Brandywine

Transcribed from an unknown author by Amanda Czocher

Brandywine

Philo Post

Philo Post was born in Saybrook, Conn. 6-29-1817. Son of Joshua and Molly Post. Joshua and Molly had 12 children.  Philo was the youngest. He came to Summit Co. with his parents when he was 4 yrs old, or 1821. His parents located in the southern part of the township, near Brandywine. His father purchased the land before coming. His father, Joshua, died 2 yrs. after their arrival. When Philo was 14 years old, he moved to Liberty Street, Twinsburg, with his mother, Mollie Post, who purchased 50 acres.  He lived with his mother until he married Luna Carpenter, Jan, 1, 1850.

Drakes and Carpenters

They were early settlers of Brandywine. Aaron and Tizah (Drake) Carpenter had 11 children.

The Wallace Family

John Wallace came to Londonderry, New Hampshire, in 1716. He came from Scotland. James I was the fourteenth child of John, born at Ackwith, New Hampshire in 1775. James married Margaret Archibald, and by her raised ten children, George I, Robert, Jane, John, Ann, Margaret, Nancy, Jonathan, James II, and William.

George, eldest son of James was born in 1776. George and his brother Robert, seemed to be endowed with a spirit of adventure. Perhaps, living in a free world, they desired to escape the rigid discipline of the early Colonial days. At any rate they made a break. They equipped themselves with a bag of provisions and an axe apiece, and started on their 600 mile trip on foot, to Youngstown.

In 1798 they reached their destination, and landed a job. They hired out to a man named Samuel Menough, to cut wood, at 12 1/8 cents per cord. They must have found time to cut two Cupid’s arrows to pierce the hearts of Samuel’s two daughters. George married Harriett Menough and James married her sister.

In 1803 James II was born to George and Harriet. Three other children, George II, Perkins, and Emeline increased their family. In 1806 George moved to Geagua, then to Cleveland. He purchased twelve acres of land on superior, where the Rockefeller building now stands, and built a log cabin hotel. In 1814, wishing to escape the malaria atmosphere of Cleveland, he moved to Brandywine to develop the water-power of Brandywine Falls. He immediately built a sawmill and a distillery in 1816. John Menough, a relative, cared for the grist-mill and Allen Burris managed the distillery. As told by Perrin," The distillery used some 12 bushels of grain daily, which turned out thirty or forty gallons of ‘Excellent Whiskey’".

Doyle in his "Biography of Summit County," states that an entry in Wallace’s day book records ten gallons of whiskey towards the minister’s support. "This good liquor was known as ‘Brandywine Currency’ "The distillery was abandoned about 1830.

Robert Wallace came here with his family in 1815. He built a log cabin. He also owned an interest in the sawmill and was the sawyer. This mill ran until about 1851. Mr. Wallace built a woolen factory near the mills in 1821. At the end of two years, the whole process of carding, spinning, weaving, and dressing was conducted on a large scale, which required the work of twelve to twenty men. At one time all these mills were in operation at once. In an apartment on the second floor of the grist-mill, George Wallace placed $1,000 worth of goods, and put his young son James in charge of it.

All these pursuits of Brandywine were the means of bringing several families to the little community.  It became such a thriving place that it is said to have rivaled Cleveland at that time, in industry, education and religion.  In 1822 Mr. Wallace succeeded in getting a post office at Brandywine, and he, himself, was commissioned Post Master. This was the first post office in Northfield Township.

In 1825, James, at fifteen years of age, with his brother George, took charge of the 1200 acre farm, on which were raised 2,000 to 2,500 sheep, 70 to 75 head of cattle, and 10 to 15 horses. George’s property fell to son James. Later, with his father, he built many miles of the Ohio Canal.

In 1843 a very unusual flood occurred, and swept away the factory, scattering the wreckage for miles along the banks of the river. It badly injured the grist-mill which was repaired and used again. The factory was never rebuilt.

In 1844 Wallace and Wallace opened a store of $2,000 worth of goods which they carried for 10 or 12 years. The store house is now used as part of the old Wallace Dwelling.

George Wallace, the father, was active until his death in 1846, at the age of 73 years. George left four children, James Waugh, George Young, Emeline, and Perkins.

In 1836 James married Adeline Hanchett. Their children were:

George, deceased

Hiram Hanchett

Mary, wife of Lorin Bliss

Warner W. a retired farmer

Joseph, deceased

Leonard C.  - Macedonia retired farmer

Margaret Stanhope, wife of H. R. P. Hamilton, architect.

The James Wallace family lived in Brandywine until 1870, then came to Macedonia, at Maple Mound, on Hudson Road. James Wallace died in 1885 and Adeline Wallace in 1887.

Hiram Wallace, second son of James married Marianna Mearns. He remained at the home in Brandywine until 1867. In 1879 Hiram bought the Proctor farm, lot 64, and in 1885 he added to his farm the Boyd property, lot 65. In 1891 he completed his beautiful home in Northfield, on Boyden Road. (The Proctor farm was built in 1821).

Hiram Wallace’s children were:

Adeline Rebecca, deceased

Belle Mearns, who married Clark Dillow, deceased

Anne Waugh, who married Rev. W. T. Hammond of Northeast, Maryland, both deceased

Margaret, deceased

George H. who married Emma Rudgers of Brecksville

Schuyler J.

Harvey Baldwin.

Clark Dillow’s children were:

James Hiram

Elizabeth

Anne Waugh’s children were:

Rebecca

George, who has one daughter (?).

The Humphrey Families

Cicily Humphry settled in Brandywine

Isaiah Humphry married Almira Waite, and is the grandfather of:

Wallace Humphry who married Sarah Smith. Their children are:

Florence married Ed Way

Howard ("kid") married Eleanor Brower

Irving ("Pick") married Elsie Chase (2) Mary Chamberlin

Charles May

Charles May married George Bishop’s sister Martha. Their children were:

Edward May

John May

Lewis Holzhaur

Lewis wad born 1845 in Baden, Germany. He was a stonemason. He married Helen Kirsh. His children were : Ida M., William W., Alfred A., Helen H. Mrs. Lewis Holzhaur died in 1891

John H. Johnson

Northfield farmer : served in Civil War. Born in Bedford, 1847. His parents were William and Elizabeth Johnson.

Samuel Perry

He was born 1838.  His parents were David and Sarah Perry. He came to Brandywine in 1861 and in 1862 married Laura Barnhart. Seven days after his marriage he enlisted in the Civil War. After the war he bought 82 acres at Brandywine and farmed. He was the father of two children: Helen M., who married Marvin Berry, and Sadie, who became an artist.

Boston

Samuel and Sally (Ozmun) Miller

Samuel and Sally (Ozmun) Miller came to Boston Twp. In 1810 and bought 150 acres of land on the state road. They lived there for several years. Their son Volney lived at the old homestead their parents settled. He married Susan Thompson – first wife in 1835. He married Helen Donzorth of Hudson – second wife. Children by last wife : Louisa S. and Vigil T. and second wife" : Millie L., Minnie M. and Ora V.

Henry Post

He came to Boston in 1804 with his wife. His wife died in 1859. Henry was killed by a car, July 4, 1865, while on a visit to his daughters.

Hiram Lee

Came to Boston in 1841. Died in 1877. Had 116 acres of land.

Lewis Lemoin

He was son of Benjamin and Priscilla Lemoin. He was the station agent at Peninsula. He was born in 1822, Pittsfield, Massachusetts. At eighteen he commenced driving on the canal and worked up to packet captain – 12 years in all. Later he was connected with the railroad business – Cuyahoga Falls with the C and Mt. Vernon Railroad as switchman, then to Clinton as station agent for 3 years, then to Macedonia as station agent with the C. and P. R. R. Co. He served here for 17 years. Then he served 9 years at Columbia as a night watchman of the Treasury. Later, he was employed as station agent for Boston and Peninsula.

In 1853 Lewis married Lucinda Post, daughter of Henry and May A (Clark) Post, native of Boston Township. Mr. Lemoin served for years as Northfield Township Clerk. Mr. Lemoin had four children :- Thede who followed his father as Station agent at Macedonia, Lew D., Sylvia S., and Dollie O.